|Want to be an editor? Join the SRK Wiki Discord and read #server-and-wiki-info.|
Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side(Also known as Eternal Champions CD) is a fighting game released by Sega of America for the Sega CD platform. Boasting 25 characters, fatalities, and an interesting "inner strength" system, the console-only fighter is considered to be a high point of the 16 bit era.
The storyline revolves around figures throughout history that could have been major influential forces had they not died prematurely through deception and murder. The Eternal Champion has gathered them together with a simple goal-the winner will get to go back to their life without dying. The Dark Champion has also entered the tournament with his own group of figures.
- F - Press the controller in the direction of the opponent
- B - Press the controller away from the opponent
- U - Up - Press up on the controller
- D - Down - Press down on the controller
- Charge - Hold a the indicated direction for .5 seconds
Six Button Notation
Corresponds to the 6-Button Sega Genesis pad. On a 3-button pad, Start will cycle between punches and kicks
- X - Straight - Light Punch
- Y - Lunge - Medium Punch
- Z - Swing - Hard Punch
- A - Snap - Light Kick
- B - Thrust - Medium Kick
- C - Wheel - Hard Kick
- +: Used between two other pieces of notation to signify that they should be performed at the same time. i.e. "X" + "Y", "X" should be performed at the same time as "Y".
e.g. F + X
- -> (Sometimes > or ,): Indicates the next part of a sequence. i.e. "X" -> "Y" -> "Z", After "X" is performed, "Y" should follow, then "Z".
e.g. s.Z -> Life Drain
- s. - The following move should be performed standing. i.e. s."X", perform "X" whilst standing.
- c. - The following move should be performed crouching. i.e. c."X", perform "X" whilst crouching.
- j. - The following move should be performed in the air (After jumping). i.e. j."X", perform "X" whilst in the air.
The most important thing to grasp in Eternal Champions CD is the presence of the Inner Strength gauge. Taking the form of a yinyang next to your character's life bar, special moves will use a portion of the circle. If it's empty, then you can't do a special move, but it does recharge quickly. Characters also have "skill moves" which are specials that don't require any meter.
By landing a Power Combo, you gain unlimited Inner Strength for 10 seconds. See specific character sections for examples.
Generally speaking, you can hit a juggled opponent with one extra hit.
During the final round of a game, if you dizzy your opponent and he has less than 1/3rd of his life remaining, you can input a button sequence to perform a Vendetta finisher, ala the MK series' Fatalities. As long as the conditions are met, Vendettas are an instant KO.
Overkills are background specific finishers. If the last hit of the match causes an opponent to land in a specific place in each background, an Overkill is activated and the opponent dies in a messy fashion.
Like Overkills, but not restricted to the last hit of the match. Your opponent may have health remaining and if they're knocked into just the right spot in the stage, instant messy KO.
A Cinekill is a character specific, grainy-as-hell, ugly-as-sin, FMV video finisher. During the last round of the match, if you a) have unlimited IS from a Power Combo, b) reduced your opponent to 1/3rd health or less, and c) dizzied your opponent, a Cinekill will activate. Good luck with that.